Custom Search

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Encased in A Vitrine--The Fountain Experience?

Word for the Week

vi·trine
(plural vi·trines)

noun

Definition:

glass cabinet: a cabinet or case with glass walls for displaying specimens or art objects
[Late 19th century. < French < vitre "glass" < Latin vitrum "glass"]


While reading a review of The Fountain on the New York Times website , I came across this word in the following passage:

" Ms. Weisz’s role is to glow and sigh, while Mr. Jackman registers various forms of anguish and desperation. The intensity of their feeling never breaks the surface, and the frame encases them like a vitrine. "

I had no idea what the word meant, so I turned to the MSN.com Encarta Dictionary online. I haven't seen the movie, so I'll have to share later, whether or not, I agree with the reviewer's opinion of the film.

D.M.H.

No comments:

Great Writing Prompt

WORDS from Everynone on Vimeo.