Custom Search

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Walter Mosley Shapes His Work and World, One Book At A Time

I'm currently reading Walter Mosley's historical/science fiction novel, 47, and I have to say that I'm impressed. With 47, he manages to craft a story that acts as a history lesson, possesses the qualities of an allegory as well as a fable and keeps you turning pages. It has been many years since I've read a piece of fiction by a modern author, in which I became so immersed, that I lost track of time.

As I was reading the "Meet the Author" page on his website, I found a quote which seems to me to serve as a diplomatic and hopeful alternative to Christopher Paul Curtis' position on seeking publication in today's market:
"The independent Black Classic Press located in Baltimore, Maryland published the prequel to the Rawlins' series Gone Fishin' in January 1997, Mosley decided to give the novel to a small black publishing house, because he felt it was important "to create a model that other writers, black or not, can look at and see that it's possible to publish a book successfully outside mainstream publishing in New York."


Click on this post's title to visit Mosley's website. You may find that his perspective makes for interesting reading.

No comments:

Great Writing Prompt

WORDS from Everynone on Vimeo.