Custom Search

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Introducing Friday Classics at A Conservatory of One

"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless." Oscar Wilde from the Preface of The Picture of Dorian Gray

In honor of Halloween, I'll be reading The Picture of Dorian Gray a bit at a time for the remainder of this month via my email subscription at DailyLit.com. This website provides visitors with a section of the book selection of their choice at intervals by email or RSS feed. Read a chapter a day, every other day, or once a week. You set up your subscription to reflect your preference. If you're itching to read the next chapter, that's easy to remedy. Login to manage your subscription and request the next chapter. Registering is free and many classic works of literature are available for subscription for free as well. Some, more recent works, are available for a nominal fee.

My plan is to read, or revisit a classic a month. I started my personal read the classics campaign a while ago with Vanity Fair. I'll be honest. I haven't read that much Vanity Fair (considering its length, it probably wasn't the best first choice), so I'm making myself accountable (and picking a shorter book). I'll list my current classic reads in the right hand column of this blog and post a bit of my thoughts about the classic of the month each Friday. Feel free to take DailyLit.com for a spin and read along with me. I look forward to your comments. The ongoing book discussions will take place at my other website, We Read Big Books.

No comments:

Great Writing Prompt

WORDS from Everynone on Vimeo.